Fiddle Version Artichoke Eggplant Dip - Zero Points!

pierce eggplant and put on the grill or in a sheet pan in the oven

cook until completely charred and collapsed.
(this one could even be cooked a few more minutes)

When I cut it in half I do it on aluminum foil so all the burnt
skin easily goes into the trash. I scrape out the yummy inside
with a spoon.
I never even knew canned jalapenos existed until my sister
gave me her recipe. I had always roasted my own. But
I've discovered they have their own unique quality and
are the secret ingredient in my No-Chop Salsa.


Artichoke Hearts canned in water.
Be sure to get the ones canned in water
instead of oil. They honestly taste better.

My sister makes the most AMAZING artichoke dip! I sit in front of it and devour the entire thing. Here is the link to her original recipe:


But I was trying to think of a way to incorporate all of those great flavors into a healthier version and this is what I came up with. By cooking the eggplant on the grill without any oil, there is this wonderful smokey flavor that gets added to the dish. If you're not a fan of the grill you can cook the eggplant in your oven and it will still give wonderful flavor without any added fat or calories and lots of added health benefits!

The first time I had the idea for this recipe I was making it for a friends birthday. I drove up the birthday meal to her and FORGET THE ARTICHOKE DIP IN THE OVEN! 2 hours later I came home and it was burned to a crisp. But I didn't want to throw it away so picked off the burned top and realized the middle was still okay and I ate that and it was delicious. I had actually made two of them: one for my friend and one for Jason and I for dinner. So Jason ate the second burned one when he came home. We looked like we were starving standing there eating burnt food, but it honestly tasted too good to throw away.

Note: The eggplant can be done the day ahead. I'll often roast it the day before I want to make the dip and then put it in the refrigerator until the next day. It usually takes about 20-25 minutes on the grill (turning it 4 times to get all the sides cooked) or an hour in a 375 oven. (in the oven you don't need to turn it. just cook it until it collaspes. And this is the same technique for making Baba Ganoush) which makes me think lemon juice might be a wonderful addition to the recipe below. I will try it next time!

FIDDLE VERSION OF ARTICHOKE DIP
Can be served as a side dish for dinner or as dip with veggies or tortilla chips

1 Whole Eggplant, roasted, skin removed and inside coarsely chopped
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts in water
1 to 3 tablespoons canned diced jalapenos. (amount depends on how
spicy you like it. I like it with 3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise (I use Best Foods Hellman's)
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese (you can grate your own or buy the shredded.
Don't buy the powdered stuff in the green box.)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


Combine all the ingredients and put in a 8 x 8 or 6 x 6 or similar size baking dish. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Serve as a side dish with dinner or as a dip with veggies or corn tortilla chips.

Can easily be doubled.

And the great news is because of the high fiber this recipe is zero points and I entered the recipes as four servings! I'm sure if you eat half of it you'll need to count it as one point, but eating 1/4 of this is zero points.* It is 71 calories and has 3.6 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber. It is also high in Iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. A winner all the way around!!

*The Points® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Maili and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the Points® registered trademark.

Comments

Popular Posts