Creamless Asparagus Soup

Fresh asparagus from Jacob Grant's ROOTS FARM. 
Cut into 1-inch pieces
all photography Blue Caleel in collaboration with The Silver Pen


When blending hot soups you always want to remove 
the center of the lid of the blender so it doesn't explode
and go all over your kitchen.  (a lesson I learned the hard 
way when blending hot plum sauce!)





Then I put a towel over the opening so steam can 
escape but not the soup.  Once you start blending
you can remove the towel.  You only need the towel 
when you begin blending to prevent splatters.



I originally made this soup for a Spring dinner I created for a favorite client.  It wasn't supposed to be a low-calorie or low-fat meal, the only goal of that dinner was that everything be delicious.  So I fully intended to put cream in the soup.  As most of you know I cook by feel with my five senses and I taste as I go along.  So before I added the cream to the soup I tasted it and it tasted so rich and delicious I decided it didn't need any cream.  As a result it turns out to be a super healthy vegetable packed soup that is also rich and filling.  It can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to five days or frozen for up to three months.

Vegetarians can substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth.  (Here is my link to my favorite low-sodium chicken broth.)  For Vegetable broth we liked Whole Foods brand.  


CREAMLESS ASPARAGUS SOUP

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
2 pounds of asparagus, ends trimmed and discarded

Trim about 1-inch of the tough bottom of the asparagus off and discard.  Chop the remaining asparagus into 1-inch pieces and set aside.

Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and then add the olive oil and diced onion.  Sauté the onion for about ten minutes, or until it is soft, stirring occasionally.  (If you feel the onion is starting to burn you can add a 1/4 cup water to the pan and that will help it continue to caramelize)

Add the carrots and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken broth and salt and bring to a boil.  Add the asparagus and cook for five minutes simmering.  

Remove from heat.  Either use and immersion hand-held stick blender to puree the soup.  Or puree in a regular blender and be sure to remove the center lid (pictures above) when you are blending any hot liquid.

For thinner soup, add more broth.  For thicker soup, add less.

Also, when I'm being fancy schmancy for a dinner party I will often put candied lemon zest and feta cheese in for a garnish.  That recipe is one The Maili Files   


NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER 1 1/3 CUP SERVING:


This recipe has no cholesterol, is very high in dietary fiber, high in iron, potassium, vitamin A, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C.  


Maili's notes:  If you would like to reduce the calories by 20 calories per serving than use only 1 tablespoon of olive oil when you sauté the vegetables.  Please keep in mind that a little fat, especially from olive oil, is good for you.  And having some fat in your diet actually helps you lose weight, which is why I recommend the two tablespoons.  So please note that the fat in this recipe is good fat not bad fat.  


Comments

Popular Posts