Gnocchi with Chicken, Spinach and Mushrooms

Since I'm a chef I usually make my own gnocchi. But I kept seeing this dry, packaged gnocchi on the shelves at Trader Joe's and Fresh and Easy. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. It was terrific. Put it in boiling salted water and then when it floats to the top cook it for about two minutes.

I've often served it with Vodka Sauce in the past or a tomato cream sauce. But I decided to go a different direction and serve it with chicken, spinach and mushrooms.

I cooked my own spinach by chopping up some chicken breast into small pieces, seasoning with kosher salt and quickly sauteing it. But you can use chicken you've already cooked or that your purchased cooked if that is easier. (This chicken I make my roommates in college called "candy chicken." I learned to make it from my Aunt Brenda, in Connecticut. She used to use Pam and Garlic Salt. I just use a teaspoon of olive oil and kosher salt. But it is just chicken chopped up into pieces that are a little less than an inch. Then sauteed. My kids eat it with toothpicks. Great for burritos as well. I'll get some pictures soon.)

In a non-fiddle version I'd be cooking the mushrooms in butter or more olive oil, but in this recipe I cook them with a tiny amount of olive oil. If you need more liquid add 1/4 cup of water.

This hearty dinner is only 5 points. I had a half a pear for dessert and drank it with a glass of 1% milk. (I love milk with dinner!)


Fiddle Version of Gnocchi, Spinach and Mushrooms

Makes 5 1-cup servings

1 pound package of potato gnocchi (cook in salted water)
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 8 ounces of mushrooms)
1 more teaspoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
pinch of kosher salt
1 5-ounce package of baby spinach (about 4 cups packed)
pinch of ground nutmeg for spinach, optional
pinch of kosher salt
2 cups of cooked chicken (about 1 pound)


Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Saute mushrooms in 1 teaspoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt while cooking. Set cooked mushrooms aside in a bowl.

Saute garlic in olive oil for a minute. Add spinach. Season spinach with pinch of kosher salt. Cook until spinach is wilted. (Season spinach with a pinch of ground nutmeg if you wish.)

Add cooked chicken, cooked gnocchi and cooked mushrooms to pan of spinach. Combine well. Add freshly ground pepper.

5 points* for a 1 cup serving. Add 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese for an additional point*.

*The Points® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Maili and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the Points® registered trademark.










Comments

Popular Posts