Sweet Potatoes and Spinach, Collard Greens, Finley's Brussels Sprouts

These vegetable recipes are so easy that I thought I would put them together with their quick and easy directions. I just posted the quick directions under each recipe. Sometimes I make an all vegetable dinner. I'm a giant steak lover but sometimes I just crave vegetables, so I'll make a bunch of different kinds. I made all three of these together plus a tomato salad. The Fiddle Veggie Challenge is to see how many veggies you can get in one meal:-)

I will look up the calories in these soon, but you really don't need to be concerned with calories because these are packed with fiber and a jillion other magnificent vitamins so eat all you want!

Sweet Potato and Spinach Saute
I peel the sweet potatoes (technically yams) and then
quarter them in four long pieces. I put them in a bowl
of water in the microwave for 6 minutes. You could also
just par-boil them in water on the stove. (Par-boiling
cooks them half-way.) Then I slice them and saute them
in a hot pan with olive oil and kosher salt. When they
are browned and cooked (only a few minutes) Then
add the Spinach. (Spinach shrinks like crazy in the pan
so put in a ton of it!) Add a little more kosher salt and
freshly ground pepper if you wish.

Collard Greens After they are Cooked

Collard Greens before they are cooked. See how much
they shrink!
COLLARD GREENS
I haven't tried making these in the oven yet, as I do with Kale
but that will be my next experiment. I get the pan super hot
put in the collard greens and saute them with kosher salt
until they cook down. Then add the Vinegar Sauce which is
2 tablespoons vinegar, 2 tablespoons hot sauce
(I use Crystal hot sauce but you could use Tabasco or Tapatio.
If you don't like spicy you may want less.) 2 teaspoons sugar.
Mix the three ingredients together and pour over the cooked
collard greens.

Finley's Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
(better picture coming soon. I just took this with my iphone)
4 and 3/4 years-old Finley (that is what she will
tell you) will eat an entire bowl of these Brussels
Sprouts because she loves them so much.
Cut off the ends of the brussls sprouts and discard
damaged leaves. Then toss them in a bowl with
olive oil and kosher salt. Roast in a 400 degree oven
for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. The crispy
leaves that fall off are the best! If you love the leaves (that
practically taste like potato chips, then you can take the
brussels sprouts apart more to scatter more leaves.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts