Fiddle Version of Plum Sauce


photography Amy Albertson
Six Plums


photography Amy Albertson
Plums Chopped Up and Ready to Go


photography Amy Albertson

 Add 1/3 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon allspice,
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) 
and one tablespoon fresh minced ginger




Cook for about 20 minutes.  Do not add water, the plums will release liquid as they cook.  


photography Amy Albertson
Finished version of Plum Sauce
(fresh ginger in the foreground. If you don't have
fresh ginger you can substitute dried ground ginger)




I've been making my now famous Pork Tenderloin with Plum Sauce since I was 19. I called my grandmother, Jean Darling, for her recipe when I was in college in Washington, DC. I remember Granny reading the ingredients over the phone to me (no measurements, just ingredients and technique.) My grandmother is an amazing cook and this was one of my favorite recipes that she made. Here is a picture of Granny:



My cute Granny at the Ballard School
Luau fundraiser five years ago.


So after 20 years of making this great sauce, it was time to create a Fiddle Version of the Plum Sauce. The result with the reduced sugar and fresh plums was so good that I may make this the official version of plum sauce for all the time (diet or no diet! However, I may still add the red wine or plum wine to the non-fiddle version:-) I serve this sauce over pork chops, pork tenderloin or chicken. A 1/3 cup serving is only 1 point*. Serve with rice or couscous as a side dish.


Fiddle Version of Plum Sauce

6 plums, pits removed and roughly chopped
1/3 cup sugar
Juice from 2 lemons
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
(or substitute 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger)
1/2 teaspoon allspice


Place all the ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until plums are broken down. Stir with a spoon. If you want a smoother sauce you can puree it. If you like a chunkier sauce, serve it as is.

Keeps up to two weeks in the refrigerator. It also freezes extremely well, so you can make this in advance for a dinner party and then reheat the day of your party. Or make it shelf stable by using normal canning techniques for jars.



*The Points® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Maili and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the Points® registered trademark.


Comments

  1. Just sent to me via email: "I'm glad you added the info about the exploding hot suace from the blender. Last year my sister's boyfriend poured very hot (not sure if boiling) soup into a blender and turned it on while holding the lid down tightly. Not only did it explode all over the kitchen, but he incurred serious burns and my sister had to call 911. As you can imagine it was extremely painful and a bit traumatizing for the poor guy. He still has the scars. Too make matters worse, the paramedics who responded were extremely belittling and mocked him for not holding down the lid when he turned on the blender. When my sister called me from the hospital to tell me I was furious at those paramedics and reminded SG of what happened with the plum sauce in Hawaii, but she didn't know the story. I thought I had told her but either hadn't or she was too young to remember. Providing this info with recipes that combine hot liquids and blenders is a very good public service!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts