Quick Fresh Pea Soup

photography Amy Albertson

Fiddle Version Mint Pea Soup

This is a super quick recipe. I made the entire thing in the blender and then cooked it for 5-7 minutes on the stove. It is very filling and so good for you. Each serving is only 1 point*.

If you have fresh peas from the farmer's market you can use those, but I just used a 16 ounce bag of frozen peas. I actually compared side-by-side the fresh ones and the frozen ones and you can barely taste the difference. So using the frozen peas makes this quick and easy to keep in your freezer that you can throw together in a few minutes.

I make all my own chicken stock and literally keep gallons of it in my freezer. (later I'll write an email on how to save money making your own stock.) But when I purchase chicken stock I buy Swanson's Natural Goodness that is low sodium and without MSG. Because my homemade stock is low in salt you may need to adjust the salt in your recipe to your taste. I ALWAYS use Kosher Salt or Sea Salt. The flavor makes a big difference.

Fiddle Version of Fresh Pea Mint Soup

1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
4 cups frozen peas (16 oz bag)
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Zest of one lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Put everything in a blender and puree to desired consistency. Cook over medium to medium high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Garnish with additional mint leaves, lemon zest or freshly grated nutmeg. My friend, Valerie Rice, puts Jalapeno oil on her pea soup. You can also garnish with 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt. The small amount of yogurt is still zero points*.


*The Points® values for these products and/or recipes were calculated by Maili and are not an endorsement or approval of the product, recipe or its manufacturer or developer by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the Points® registered trademark.


Comments

Popular Posts